Whether natural or human-made, there is something about the fine shape of an arch that just delights the eyes of the viewer. The arch monuments we see all across the globe are built to honor an important person or a significant event in history. Sometimes subtly integrated into a bridge, at times courageously used as an iconic statement of capitalism, each of these choices is captivating for a different reason. Such human-made arches also become famous landmarks and the best tourist attractions of the city where it is situated. Here are top ten popular human-made arches over the world.
- Arc de Triumph, Paris, France – It’s one of the best-known monuments in Paris. It stands at the western end of the Champs-Élysées and commemorates those who fought and sacrificed themselves for France both in the French Revolutionary and the Napoleonic Wars, having the names of all French victories and generals carved on inner and outer surfaces. It was built in 1806-1836 and it has a 50 meters height(164 ft.).
- The Gateway Arch, St. Louis, United States – It’s a 630-foot (190 m) masterpiece in St. Louis, Missouri. Covered in stainless steel and built in the form of an arch, the monument is the tallest human-made in the United States and also the world’s tallest arch. If you want to go to the top of the Arch, use the tram located in each leg of the arch. Each one of them is a chain of eight egg-shaped compartments, each being capable of holding five passengers. The trip to the top takes only four minutes.
- Rua Augusta Arch, Lisbon, Portugal – This historical building and tourist attraction in Lisbon was created to commemorate the reconstruction of the capital after the 1755 earthquake. The construction of this monument took a lot of years – from 1755 till 1873.
- Arch of Cinquantenaire, Brussels, Belgium – This arch was designed to be revealed for the world exhibition of 1880 to celebrate the 50th anniversary of Belgium as an independent country. But the construction was not done in time. It took a lot more years but the construction was finally finished in 1905, in time for the 75th anniversary of the independence of Belgium.
- Arc de Triomf, Barcelona, Spain – This monument situated in the capital of Catalonia was built to be the main access gate for the 1888 Barcelona World Fair.
- Patuxai, Vientiane, Laos – The Gate of Triumph or the Victory Gate, in Vientiane, Laos is a war monument built between 1957 and 1968. It’s dedicated to the people who fought for the independence of Laos from France.
- Arch of Constantine, Rome, Italy – Located between the Colosseum and the Palatine Hill, this majestuous arch is the oldest of the existing triumphal arches in Rome. The monument was built to salute the victory of Constantine I over Maxentius, at the Battle of Milvian Bridge, in the year 312. The arch itself originates from the year 315.
- India Gate, New Delhi, India – The India Gate is a national monument of this country, the location of the Indian Army’s Tomb of the Unknown Soldier. The monument honors the Indian soldiers who died in World War I and the Afghan Wars. Its construction began in 1921 and was formally opened to the public in 1933.
- Arch of Triumph, Pyongyang, North Korea – It’s the world’s tallest triumphal arch, being 60 meters (197 ft.) high and 50 meters (164 ft.) wide. Its purpose was to celebrate the Korean resistance to Japan (1925 – 1945) and also to honor President Kim Il-sung for the role played in the armed resistance. The arch was built in 1982 and was officially opened on the leader’s 70th birthday.
- Siegestor (Victory Gate), Munich, Germany – Its construction was completed in 1852. The gate was initially dedicated to the glory of the Bavarian army but today it’s a monument and a reminder of peace. The Victory Gate is 21 meters high, 12 meters deep and 24 meters wide.
If you’re going to Saint Louis for business reasons, take a short break and visit this amazing attraction. All you need is to find a trusted ground transportation provider. St. Louis Limousine Service is excited to make your business trip more relaxing. We offer unmatched service for business travelers: Airport Transportation, Hourly Car Service, Point to Point Limo Service and of course an excellent fleet that goes with these professional services. Don’t doubt for a second that with us, your business trips will be more pleasant.Tags: St. Louis Car Service